jeudi 20 décembre 2007

Bangkok(s)

After having been already two times in my life in Bangkok, it was high time for me to start enjoying this city. I have tried hard by visiting several areas, and I actually succeeded: the diversity of Bangkok makes it an amaizing place to watch. After all, not many cities in the world can claim to host the largest lying buddah in the world, the biggest number of fat white people accompanied by skinny women, the highest pollution levels despite one of the most modern metro systems, the biggest number of aerobic addicts worldwide, and the largest number of counterfeited goods and backpackers. Tour d'horizon.

Th Khaosan (Khaosan Road)



For millions of backpackers in the world, Khaosan road is THE place where everything starts and everything ends. The longtime travellers' mecqua has not changed a lot since my last visit five years ago, and still consists in a wide alley full of cheap hostels, pubs, laundries, internet cafes, tuks tuks, small shops selling fake goods, and a large number of thai people trying to make money in one way or another. I just cannot believe that the Indian guys dressed like sikhs are still there (they pretend to be fortune-tellers and will come and talk to you with their usual "you are a lucky man today. You know why?" - hasn't changed in 5 years).


You can find everything at Th Khaosan
Whilst every age range is to be seen here (my mum is staying on Khaosan Road!), I can feel I got older as compared to my last trip, as a vast majority of backpackers just turned 20 - boys get their first tatoos and girls their first dreadlocks. Fresh meat for tuk tuk drivers...but this place is however worth to be visited, just to pay a tribute to the millions of backpackers coming here every year.
Chinatown

Chinatown is a place to be seen (kitsch neons all over the place), heard (Chinese) and smelt (strong and plaisant food senteurs). I did not know this place before and I have been charmed. This is the place to strike a good deal, although people here mostly sell jewelry and hi-fi stuff, in addition to unuseful Chinese stuff. Just wonder around and eat something...


As suggested by my friend Mathieu, the best time of the day to visit Chinatown is around 4.00 - wonder around and wait till 6.00-7.00 to see all the shops being turned into smelly food stands as night comes.
Patpong

Patpong is the red light district of Bangkok, and consists in a couple of streets with shop stands at the centre and brothels, strip clubs and go-go bars on both sides. In my memories it was a bit more lively - I was a bit dissapointed, last time I found it more impressive. Still a funny thing to see though, even if the touts trying to get you to enter their strip clubs are a pain in the ass - try to come here with your girlfriend (!). I recommend going there to see one of the darkest (and disgusting!) side of Thailand - fat guys hand in hand with beautiful thai girls.


Siam Square


Ultra-modern Siam square is jam-packed with shopping malls, and is an absolute must-seen at night, a definitive jump to the future, especially after the quietness of Northern Thailand. Lights are everywhere, shopping can be done till midnight, don't buy anything here (Western prices) but just admire the crowds, traffic and skytrain. In the middle of this, a backpacker-friendly alley where I am staying. If you liked Japan, you will like Siam square (and vice-versa).


In my view, the best time to come here is during the evening, when lights are on. Use the Skytrain from Lumphini parc or from the decks and go off at National stadium - the trip is fantastic.

Lumphini parc

Tired of the skyscrappers, traffic and crowds? Take a rest and enjoy walking around Lumphini parc, one of the only quiet place in Bangkok, and the city's response to central parc. Thai people doing aerobic or running are good fun to watch. The parc is non-smoking.



I am now going today with my mum to Koh Samui, and my brother will join us on the 26. This will be a kind of holiday in the holidays, my first time on "real" Asian beaches (they were bad in Vietnam and Cambodia)...

Enjoy your holidays and merry XMas to all!!!

4 commentaires:

Tom a dit…

Nedeleg laouen Manu :) Et hop, du breton sur un blog jacobin :p

Anonyme a dit…

Manuuuuu!
Trop de chance d'etre encore en voyage: je suis rentree en Europe il y a 3 jours et je ne sais deja plus quoi faire de mes 10 doigts... Profiiites!
Biz et bon Noel
Marie-Anne

david santos a dit…

Nice posting, thank you,


I wish you a good end of 2007 and a good year of 2008.

Anonyme a dit…

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!