vendredi 24 août 2007

FAQ Part I - Why doing it?

I thought starting up the blog with an FAQ would be a good idea. Here we go with the first edition - other will follow: at this stage I aim for itinerary, costs, preparation, and other FAQs are likely to come.

Why are you doing it?
Because I love traveling and Southeast Asia in particular, and I feel I need a break. After two years and a half of hard work, it's time to make my dreams come true. I guess I also want to discover some new things, and I am also afraid to have the opportunity to do it ever again if not now. Also I have the money now, of course.

What was your previous job?
I worked as a consultant in an EU lobbying firm based in Brussels. The firm was really great in terms of atmosphere and work but I felt I wanted to do something else. Then came the idea of a trip, i.e. taking a four month break in between my previous job and the future one. I also want to use that period to reflect about my own future professionally speaking.

Why four months?
Many of my friends have indeed done a longer tour lasting a year. As far as I am concerned I feel this is a bit long and then you tend to disconnect from reality. Hence four months sounds to me a good compromise.

Did you plan long ahead?
Yes. It was somewhere in my mind in the past four years, and started to take shape around August 2006. From then on I REALLY started to save money. My final choice was however made around March/April 2007. I gave my resignation in June 2007, i.e. four months before I actually leave the firm at the end of September. My boss was really great and did not make any problem!

Why Southeast Asia?
Having been to Thailand and India, I already know a bit of Asia. Africa is a difficult continent to travel to as backpacker, the other 'usual' alternative to Asia is Latin-America, but I do not speak Spanish which is a handicap to meet people/other travelers. I'm not attracted by middle-East except Iran nor by China and other countries of the region. I loved both trips to Thailand and India. At some point I thought about doing four months in India but finally figured out that doing the many different countries in Southeast Asia would be more fun. The countries (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, and Malaysia) are clearly part of a group but offer very different kinds of opportunities and sights.

Are you going alone?
Yes. I will meet my girlfriend twice (thanks god!), and my mum and brother once. Many people are worried about traveling alone but my own experience in Thailand and India tells me that you're never alone!

Will you do anything like volunteering or other projects?
I don't think so - I feel four months is somewhat too short and want to take time to relax! I do not have any specific project apart from keeping this blog up to date...which means taking picture, which is a significant change for me!

Next FAQ to be posted: itinerary

1 commentaire:

Tom a dit…

Wouhouhou! Yeah baby ;) Faut travailler un peu le look là, c'est pas sexy tout ça coco!